WHAT ARE INSOMNIA AND SLEEP DISORDERS?
The average adult needs slightly more than eight hours of sleep per day, but only 35% of American adults consistently get this amount of rest. Insomnia is defined as difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep at least three nights per week, in addition to complaints of sleep-related daytime impairment.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SLEEP DISORDERS?
- Inability to fall asleep at night despite being tired
- Waking frequently throughout the night
- Waking too early in the morning
- Not feeling refreshed after sleep
- Sleep that is chronically nonrestorative or poor
- Daytime drowsiness, fatigue, irritability, difficulty concentrating and impaired ability to perform normal activities
- Anxiety as bedtime approaches
- Tension headaches
If you notice yourself experiencing these issues throughout the day time it’s important that you find a solution to your sleep disorder. Not doing so can result in a lower quality of life, stress, and other disorders. You need sleep to stay healthy, so you must take your sleep problems seriously. Acupuncture can help, here’s what you need to know.